Brief Introduction on Northeastern University Alumni Association
During Peter H. L. Chang’s term as the president of Northeastern University, special attention was paid to the alumni work. As a pioneer, Peter H. L. Chang founded Northeastern University Alumni Association on April 9, 1933. And then its branches were opened in Shanghai, Wuhan, Qingdao and other places respectively. In 1934, General Peter H. L. Chang, the then president of Northeastern University, attended the opening ceremony of the Nanjing Branch and delivered a speech to more than 50 alumni who worked in Nanjing. He expressed his best wishes to them and hoped that they would never forget their hometown and Northeastern University.
In the early 1960s, about 500 Northeastern University alumni of Taiwan established the Northeastern University Alumni Association Branch in Taiwan, China. They strengthened the connections between Taiwan and the mainland, promoting the unification of Taiwan and the mainland. During the mid '80s, Northeastern University Alumni Association branches were established in Beijing, Shenyang, Changchun, Dalian and America. Alumni did a lot of work and contributed to the rejuvenation of Northeastern University.
In August 1993, Northeastern University Alumni Association was among the first to be registered in the Chinese Ministry of Civil Affairs. After nearly thirty years of development, Northeastern University has opened more than 100 Alumni Association Branches both at home and abroad, such as in America, Britain, Japan, Australia, Singapore, Taiwan China, Hong Kong, Macao and other countries and regions. The Beijing Branch was credited as Provincial-level Advanced Association by Beijing Municipal Government in 2001 and 2004 and the Jinzhou Branch was credited as such by Jinzhou Municipal Government in 2003. It strengthens the ties between Northeastern University and its alumni, fully serves its alumni, promotes Northeastern University and expands the influence of Northeastern University both domestically and internationally. Furthermore, it makes full use of the strength of scientific and technological talents and contributes to the local economic and social development. It is well received and largely affirmed by local alumni and local governments, playing an irreplaceable role.