State Environmental Protection Key Laboratory of Eco-Industry
In November 2002, the State Environmental Protection Administration (SEPA, now named Ministry of Ecology and Environment) of P. R. China established the first ministry-level laboratory in the field of Industrial Ecology (IE), named “State Environmental Protection Key Laboratory of Eco-Industry”, which stands for a new development stage of IE. The aim of this laboratory is serving the sustainable development of China. This laboratory is led by Northeastern University (initiating university), Tsinghua University and Chinese Research Academy of Environmental Sciences. Now there are more than 60 permanent researchers in this laboratory. The director of this laboratory is Prof. Tao Du.
The major research directions are as follows:
(1) Basic theories of Eco-industry and Circular Economy;
(2) The development strategy and plan of Eco-industry;
(3) The development of Eco-technologies;
(4) Resource conservation and material recycling;
(5) The evaluation and system integration of Eco-technologies.